Texting is becoming increasingly common among businesses who want to create loyal customers and engage directly with their audience. As a result, these businesses are making more sales – a lot more sales.
Sounds too good to be true, right? Wrong. You're going to be moving so much product you won't know what to do with yourself.
Next thing you know, you're on a beach in Cancun sipping on ice cold margaritas.
You can thank me when you're back.
Loyal Customers Spend More
It's no secret that loyal customers tend to spend more money. Think about your favourite brands and businesses – you have likely given a lot of repeat business. You're loyal to some businesses out there.
- Loyal customers spend 67% more with a business than new ones. (Thanx)
- A 5% increase in customer retention correlates with at least a 25% increase in profit. (Bain & Company)
- 60% of loyal customers will purchase more frequently from their preferred companies. (InMoment)
Using text messages, you can create loyal customers by:
- Asking them questions and responding thoughtfully
- Giving them exclusive offers or discounts
- Sending them helpful information
Engage Directly with Your Audience
By setting up a direct line of communication with your audience, you are going to end up with happier customers. Why is that?
Your customers will begin to experience better customer service than your competitors. Not only that, but you will slowly build personal relationships with your most engaged customers.
Fun fact: 98% of texts opened when compared to 20% of emails (source). This means that texts are a much more powerful means of communication in addition to your other marketing channels such as email. I told you it was fun.
How to setup texting for your business
I hope you haven't forgotten about those margaritas I promised you earlier.
Step 1: Sign up for Herald SMS for free
Head over to https://heraldsms.com/ and signup for a free 30-day trial.
Step 2: Get your business phone number
After adding your billing details, go back to the dashboard where you will see your business phone number.
Step 3: Get people on your texting list
People get added to your texting list whenever they text your Herald phone number.
"But how do I get them to do that!?", I hear you say.
Easy. Using the channels you already have with your customer base (social media, your website, email newsletters, etc.), incentivize your customers to text you something small.
Here are some examples of how to get your customers (or potential customers) to text you:
- Offer a giveaway: "Text this number if you want enter a giveaway for <something your customer would want>"
- Offer a discount: "Send a text to this number if you want to be the first to receive our summer discount codes!"
- Offer something exclusive: "Text us if you want to be part of our inner circle who have members-only access to limited product drops."
- Offer support or information: "Want to know the best ramen spots in town? Text me with your ramen preferences and I'll send you your top 3 places to check out."
Remember: once they text you, they've been added to your texting list.
Step 4: Follow through
Depending on the strategy chosen from the previous step (giveaway, discounts, exclusivity, information/support), simply follow through with said strategy.
Sorry, but you can't just offer a giveaway and then not give something away. That's called being heartless.
Step 5: Profit
Now that you have tens, hundreds, or even thousands of people on your texting list, you should message your list thoughtfully and periodically with things like:
- Sales or clearances
- Discount codes
- New product releases
- Updates or alerts
Through consistently engaging with your customer base in this way, you will not only keep your business top-of-mind, but your customers will now have a direct communication channel with you.
Not only that, but you will likely be engaging with your most active customers who will be chomping at the bit for discounts and exclusive offers.
Next stop: Cancun
Now you see how easy it is to get setup with Herald and start building your texting list.